Translate

Friday, September 04, 2015

Oh Canada!!

ready for take-off at Sydney Airport


Hi guys, I have been so slack in the past couple of weeks and haven't posted anything here, so I am going to change that now!





For those of you who follow me on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/randomlightsphotography), you will probably already know that I have left Western Australia on Tuesday to fly half way across the globe and attend a "One Of A Kind" photography workshop in Banff, Canada!
Yes that's right, I am already in Calgary and for the next few weeks I won't be posting my typical southwest WA seascapes.

Los Angeles

But first things first, this photographic work shop is organized and guided by no one else but Timothy Poulton, Sarah Hatton and Chris Collacot of One Of A Kind Extreme Photography Adventures and for the next two weeks will takes us through the most stunning locations around Banff National Park and Icefields Parkway in the Canadian Rockies! We're talking glaciers, mountains, waterfalls, alpine lakes, creeks and hopefully one or the other wildlife encounters!

Tired as hell but still 5 more hours to go - at LA airport
We're going to spend the nights mostly in Hotels but there are quite a few nights in which we will be camping, among them a couple of nights at the amazing Mt Assiniboine on the border of Alberta and British Colombia.
Prepping for the camping mission

I have just arrived here in Calgary two days ago after a 48+ hour ordeal that took me from Perth to Sydney to LA and finally to Calgary and I don't think I spent more then 2 hours sleeping as I hate flying for the lack of comfort on planes (my knackered lower back doesn't seem to help... :/ ).



Why did they ever change the look of fuel pumps? I love the old ones!



Anyhow, as it turned out, I had an old friend from Germany who now lives in Calgary and she invited me to stay with her and her family in the states capital. Happy days! After meeting her family and getting acquainted with some local customs (no, I'm not just talking about local beers ;) ) with a day to spare before the start of the tour, we decided to visit Heritage Park to get a glimpse of what life once used to be here in Canada. Besides, I love old cars and machines and this place has them all!

For rev-heads like me, the Heritage Park automobile museum offers a great range of perfectly preserved old-timers to drool over :)





I was very positively impressed with how well they had put this park together. Almost every building has one or two people in them, all dressed up in vintage attire and they all explain quite detailed what each building was used for and some stories of  the people who lived there. All in all quite well worth the visit if you got half or even a full day to spare. The ticket includes a ride on the steam boat and the steam train and grants admission to all the buildings.


Complimentary stream boat rides in Heritage Park



Heritage Park as seen from the steam boat 





Some places offer workshops like butter making or live exhibits like this black smith or the olde bakery. 



Live exhibits such as this blacksmith keep not only the kiddies entertained.



Mud houses used to be the only kind of accommodation for early settlers as they didn't have any trees in the prairie.


Thanks for taking your time to read this, everyone! I will try to keep you updated as I go along, but I will probably be out of range for a few weeks and might not get a lot of time to process the coming images.

So please feel free to enter your email on the left side of this blog in the "Follow by email" tab to receive the latest updates and/or follow me on facebook at (https://www.facebook.com/randomlightsphotography)

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend!

Hannes

No comments:

Post a Comment